Chiloé + Patagonia Self Drive
Pure adventure in Southern Chile
- Flight from Santiago to Puerto Montt - 1.5 hours
- Pickup rental for 2 hour drive to Chiloé Grande (including ferry)
- Overnight in Ancud or La Casita del Mar
- Discover the wild Pacific Coast of Chiloé Grande
- Include a visit to Puñihuil penguin colony
- We suggest passing through the Chepu River valley to see some of the fantastic and beautiful damage left over from the 1960 earthquake
- Lunch at agrotourism locale
- 2 km forest ramble in old growth rainforest - great for birdwatching!
- Same lodging or possible to stay in Castro
- Explore the East Coast of Chiloé
- Pass through fishing villages and by expansive estuaries
- Visit UNESCO churches
- Arrive in Quellón for the 1:30 AM ferry ride across the famous Corcovado Gulf
- Enjoy the sunrise over the Andes, arriving to Chaiten by around 9:00.
- More stuff.Visit the Michinmahuida section of Pumalín Park. Hike to the snow line of this massive glacier capped volcano, soak in the nearby El Amarillo hot springs, or trek up active volcano Chaiten to see the crater and regrowth forest after its 2008 eruption
- Overnight in Caleta Gonzalo, in rustic luxury in the only cabins inside Pumalín Park, perched high on the edge of the Reñihue Fjord
- Visit trails in the park for hikes during the day- including the Alerce Trail (taking you into a forest with 4000 year old Alerce trees!). Same lodging at Caleta Gonzalo
- A day of ferries and fjords!
- Midday ferry through the fjords of Pumalín and later on our last ferry, arriving to Hornopiren around 18:00.
- Overnight in the emerald village of Hornopiren
- Return journey to Puerto Montt or Puerto Varas. Can opt to keep car one extra day for exploration around Puerto Varas, or can return to PMC for onward travel